We are a church if by church you mean a justice-seeking, Spirit-guided, love oriented group of people. Many of us have been wounded or shamed, left out or bored by traditional religion, but we hunger for spiritual community. Our mission is this:
We are a community bound together by a shared commitment to grow in love. We accomplish this by:
- extending and receiving extravagant welcome and hospitality
- nurturing our inner lives to be more whole
- uniting as agents of social change for the common good
- living in the ways of love, peace, joy, and justice found in the teachings of the radical, mystical Jesus as well as the wisdom of many traditions
At the very least, we invite you to show up and feel the love!
Are you affiliated with any denomination?
In November of 2015, we were welcomed “in-care” of the Santa Clara Association of the Northern California Nevada Conference of the United Church of Christ. On March 26th, 2017 we were officially welcomed as a new congregation in the United Church of Christ, in the Santa Clara Association.
What do you believe?
We proclaim that it’s not what you believe; it’s how you love. We are a wonderful and wild mix by design so we are oriented around shared values. Our focus is not believing the same things about the Divine or about being right, rather our aim is living with love. See our Guiding Principles.
We seek to hold ourselves accountable to live these principles in community together, knowing that we will live them out imperfectly and yet we will move forward together in love.
- We strive to be radically inclusive, extending and receiving extravagant hospitality and welcome.
“Inclusive” means we that we celebrate the joys and challenges of creating safe space for differences among us such as sexual orientation, ethnicity, class, mental abilities, physical capabilities, political persuasion, personalities, education level and backgrounds, knowing that we are each invited to be who we are created to be. We trust that these differences inform and strengthen our community as well as our own spiritual journeys.
- We strive to be deeply spiritual, nurturing our inner lives to be more whole.
“Spiritual” means we believe tending to the human spirit is part of living fully and deeply. We believe that whatever name we give God, It is a force for love within and around each of us and all creation. There is more going on than we perceive and we are committed to creating space to listen.
- We are unapologetically progressive, believing that we are called to be agents of social change for the common good.
“Progressive” means that we understand our work of healing, reconciling and building Beloved Community to be an ongoing commitment. Whatever God is, It is ahead of us, pulling us to be more compassionate, generous, beautiful and loving.
- We are theologically diverse, rooted in the profound teachings of Jesus and living in the wisdom of many traditions.
“Diverse” means that we are a spiritual community that intentionally seeks to love alike without thinking alike. Our congregation includes those who perceive in Jesus the divine qualities of love, peace, generosity, and justice as well as those who identify as agnostics, spiritual independents and other people of conscience.
What should I expect if I show up at an event or a service?
No matter who you are, we invite you to give us a try. We are gathering in all kinds of ways in a variety of places. Check out our Eventbrite page to learn more!